I’d like to introduce research phases of making the solo. In each of the phases I was trying to approach the topic from a different angle in order to get a more complete understanding and figure out what is my own aim.
I dug deeper into my experience with awkwardness and found shame, anxiety and discomfort. It wasn’t easy to handle all that negative energy but I tried to channel it into specific body parts and to figure out how those emotions control my body.
I made a little video for this phase. I call it my Claustrophobic anxiety moment.
The time which I spent on rationalising and, honestly, over-analysing the topic. I discussed and wrote a lot; made mind-maps and researched the topic online.
Task-oriented phaseA practical approach. I started to give myself tasks; mostly questions or direct requests. This way I managed to produce material in a straightforward way and get something concrete done. Very handy during those days when feeling tired or stuck or just not inspired.
Period when I decided to go all wild with impro. I made super long sessions and filmed everything. Felt like a good idea while having fun in the studio, but I ended up buried under hours of video material to go through and decide what fits and is worth exploring further.